Stonnington Symphony is widely regarded as one of Melbourne’s most dynamic community orchestras. We are committed to performing orchestral music, at the highest possible standard, in accessible venues and at affordable prices. Based in City of Stonnington, with strong local council and business support, we pride ourselves on the contribution we make to our local communities.
These guidelines provide important information about your involvement in Stonnington Symphony activities. All Members and Employees are expected to understand, accept and adhere to these guidelines.
- Players are required to pay an annual Membership Fee of $20 which helps offset basic administration costs. Players must be financial members to ensure that they are covered by the organisations insurance when involved in Stonnington Symphony activities as well as relevant voting rights within the organisation. The Stonnington Symphony membership year runs from July 1 to June 30.
- Players are further required to pay a Participation Fee of $40 for each concert they play, unless advised otherwise.
- Places for each program are limited and are by invitation subject to approval by the Section Convenor.
- Rehearsals are scheduled in the five weeks leading up to each concert.
- Please arrive with enough time to ensure prompt commencement of each rehearsal.
- Players are expected to assist with the setup and pack down of chairs at each rehearsal.
- Players are required to attend all rehearsals and performances. Should you be unable to attend due to illness, unforeseen circumstances or emergency, please contact the General Manager on 0490 019 179 as well as your Section Convenor.
- Players with solo responsibilities are expected, in discussion with their section convenor, to arrange a suitable deputy in case of absence. Any changes should be relayed to the General Manager on 0490 019 176.
- Where possible, conductors will provide a detailed rehearsal breakdown for each rehearsal documented in the Player Information Sheet. If you are not playing in all pieces, please be aware of the schedule pertaining to your involvement.
- Players will be issued with desk parts for each program. If you are unable to attend a rehearsal, it is your responsibility to ensure that any parts you may be holding are available for rehearsal.
- All parts and copies must be returned at the conclusion of each concert. Players are liable for any missing parts and copies.
- It is expected that players will practise their parts between rehearsals.
- All Players are required to bring a music stand to each rehearsal and performance unless otherwise stated in the Player Information Sheet.