Rehearsals & Guidelines
Stonnington Symphony is widely regarded as one of Melbourne’s most dynamic community orchestras. We are committed to performing orchestral music, at the highest possible standard, in accessible venues, at affordable prices. Based in Stonnington, with strong local council and business support, we pride ourselves on the contribution we make to our local communities.
These guidelines provide important information about your participating in Stonnington Symphony activities. All players are expected to understand, accept and adhere to these guidelines.
- Membership - Players are required to pay an annual Membership Fee of $20. This fee covers basic administration costs, as well as insurance when involved in Stonnington Symphony activities. Players must be financial members to ensure all relevant voting rights within the organisation. The Stonnington Symphony membership year runs from July 1 to June 30.
- Players are further required to pay a Participation Fee of $40 for each concert they play.
- Rehearsals – are scheduled in the five weeks leading up to each concert. Please arrive with enough time to ensure prompt commencement of each rehearsal.
- Attendance – Players are required to attend all rehearsals and performances. Should you be unable to attend due to illness, unforeseen circumstances or emergency, please contact the General Manager on 0490 019 179 as well as your Section Convenor.
- Players with solo responsibilities are expected, in discussion with their section convenor, to arrange a suitable deputy in case of absence. Any changes should relayed to the General Manager on 0490 019176.
- Music – Players will be issued with desk parts for each program. If you are unable to attend a rehearsal, it is your responsibility to ensure that any parts you may be holding are available for rehearsal. All parts and copies must be returned at the conclusion of each concert, on concert day. It is expected that players will practice their parts between rehearsals.
- Music Stand – Please bring a music stand to each rehearsal and performance.
- Rehearsal Schedule – If you are not playing in all pieces, please check the rehearsal times which involve you. These can be found on the website and concert information sheet.